Saturday, November 17, 2007

What Sissy and I Talked About





My precious BABY. Megan aka Sissy will always be MY baby. She wants to move forward, she has to. Life moves, its a rule. We grow and change constantly. When Sis was small she would come to me and ask what I wanted her to say, eat, or wear when the decision was just too hard for her to make. Sometimes she still asks what I think she should say, eat, or wear ....but not quite as often. She has made a big decision that I was consulted on and agreed to but now my insides are shaking. She has enough credits to graduate early if she takes a night class this term. She wants out of high school, she's done with it. High school has never really been her thing anyway and she wants out as quick as she can. She decided to get her associates degree at a community college and then transfer her credits to a university later. When I got up this morning she had print-outs from various community colleges here and in Oregon, she stayed up late doing research about them. I just assumed when she said community college she meant here in Texas. I was excited because that gave me some more time to get used to this growing up thing she keeps doing. Since she is young, I still have some pull. I think its best she stay here and go to college, at least until she is 18. Sissy, could you just ask me what to say, eat, or wear? Those are the decisions I am good at.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

How early? Like this coming May? Surely not December? That's insane! I'm so proud of Megan and the beautiful, caring, hard-working, intelligent young woman that she has become but....that's insane! I'm not ready for it either, Rock.

Wow.

Rocky said...

Yes, this coming May! It's almost incomprehensible. Seriously!

Carlee said...

Megan is sitting in the same room as me as I write. It is so hard to believe that this is the same curly headed little girl that we used to know. She is really something. I am so excited to see what she will do with all of the life that she has to live. What crazy times are these!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those two last lines must have been painful to write.

What I admire is the quality of choices your girl is making. I wish I had had the guts 11 yrs. ago to come up to my mom and lay out some ideas as to where I wanted my own life to go. Instead I just caved in to her emotional, ehem, maneuvering and decide I couldn't stand up to her so I did what she wanted me to do... and resented her for years.

We are good now, but I still argue with my brother that he must stop trying to fulfill my mother's needs and focus on being his own man....

Anyway, I think I went off on a tangent but all I can say is... I'm in awe of the courage your girl has had to talk to her mom about things so important, and yet, taking the high road and getting out of high school by graduating earlier and not dropping out. Wow!

Anonymous said...

I think this is great! She has worked so hard. Congrats Megan.

Carl...why have you cut off Soy's head from your picture. First fight?

Anonymous said...

That picture of Megan and Brett is exactly how we left them almost 13 years ago. Then one day she showed up in Texas, a young woman. What happened? I am so glad that I have been blessed to watch her grow stronger and more lovely each day for the last 4 years. I miss it. God must have some big plans for her. I love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Graduating early??!! It seems like just yesterday she was a jr higher in my Spanish class! Congrats, Megs.

Carrie Kisling said...

No Way! I don't remember such a grown up Megan! Way to go , girl.